Monday, June 22, 2009

Another visit to Cambodia

As you cross the border from Thailand to Cambodia, you are immediately convinced that you are in another country. The roads are dusty, some local is trying to rip you off, and there are tons of beggar street kids. I have seen this scene before in other countries, but it's unusual because I live in the country right next to Cambodia, and it doesn't resemble Thailand at all in a lot of ways.

I visited my friends who are working hard to fight along side other ministries against the darkness of sexual exploitation. Especially against small children. In the tiny slum of Svay Pak is where the world's pedophiles come. My friends are working to love, and disciple these young victims. If anything could help these children from the hell they face, it has to be Jesus. I helped out with the children's programs for two days, and loved it. The children remembered me from the last time I was there. "Frankie" they yell with their little cute voices. Did some hip-hop dancing while I was there. Well, these kids can throw down! They do these break dance moves that leave your mouth hanging open. I had so much fun playing with them. I feel sad that I can't stay longer. But glad that my friends are committed to stay as I am committed to Thailand. As for the rest of the area around Phnom Penh, it's just as sad. As soon as the sun falls, the brothels, and bars open up for business. And late at night the prostitutes flood the city parks, and ladyboys come out also.

It is hope that gets most of us out of the cloud of darkness that fills some of these areas of injustice. There is hope for these Southeast Asian countries in which people of being taken advantage of, and satan is taking souls. Although there are plenty of organizations out to help, there is still the need for long term workers. Especially for the locals to rise up in the name of Jesus, and take their own children from this grip of death, and tragedy. I was reminded of this as I stood a night on the way to Phnom Penh, in Siem Reip. I was shopping for a sim card, when I noticed some people's eyes fixed on the sky. I looked and saw something I have never seen in my young life. Not one full and colorful rainbow, but two! Maybe we have forgotten the reason rainbows fill the air on a rainy day. It's God reminder that he will not flood the earth once more, no matter how wicked we are. But more than that it's the hope of glory, for all who see the colorful reminder. These three remain faith, hope and love.

Been reading a book written by the man who wrote,"Terrify No More", Gary A. Haugen. A book that is well known in the fight for the victims of sex trafficking, It documents a bust done in Svay pak. That's right the same place I just told you about. Well, he wrote another book called,"Just Courage". I love it when people challenge me. I am not done with the book, but one thing is clear, God is all about JUSTICE! But the sad fact is to do the real hard, dangerous work, it takes some courage. Courage our soft little Christian world, wants little to do with. We have fear. There is one plan to reach these hard areas of the world where spreading the gospel into hostile countries, or rescuing a child out of a brothel, or coming face to face with war zones, can mean harm, persecution, and sacrifice beyond our comfort. The plan is us. Not just us of course. God ultimately holds the cards. Jesus did his thing, dieing for the sins of the world, resurrecting, and sending his Holy Spirit. But who's job is it to physically do the rescuing? We are the hands and feet.

There is tons of scripture pointing to the responsibility of God's children to up hold justice, and mercy. A few Isaiah 1:17, Isaiah 61:1, Proverbs 14:31, Proverbs 18:5, Micah 6:8, Matthew 23:23. But none of it can be fully understood, without our minds and hearts being like God's. What I mean by saying that, is that the source, of all these acts of courageousness, justice and mercy, is his love in being in relationship with him. So don't get me wrong, working against these things are what I am all about. But, to do things just for the cause erases Jesus from the picture. I have seen people with my own eyes, get hammered just by the emotional toll working in this world of sexual exploitation, and they haven't had time to face the spiritual warfare aspect of it! One of my favorite writers, Oswald Chambers of course, says it like this,"Jesus Christ calls service to be what we are to him, not what we do for him".

Let's keep fighting my brothers and sisters. I am not into hiding my light under fear. Fear is just a word.

1 comment:

  1. We saw a beautiful piece of a rainbow yesterday and was reminded of the same amazing promise and love shown through that. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete